Friday, August 20, 2010

Anchor Babies and Mosques

I'm okay with a mosque being built at Ground Zero because at least something would be built at Ground Zero
http://www.someecards.com/ 


I'm supposed to be writing my Reflection, which I am doing, but then realized I hadn't blogged in two days so here I am.


I am basing my Reflection on all the crap going on in our country related to xenophobia and, more to the point, racism against people of Arab descent -- okay, well, Muslims -- and all of the backlash against building a Mosque, a house of prayer for f'sake, two blocks from Ground Zero.  Not to mention the new move to repeal the 14th Amendment so "terrorists" will stop birthing babies in the US, which grants the baby US citizenship, so they can go back to their "terrorist" country and be raised up to be adult "terrorists" who are American citizens and come back and, well, I suppose terrorize us.  (We all know why they are really trying to get rid of #14 -- it'll open the door to getting rid of the Right's biggest target -- Social Security.  But I digress.  *See below if you want to know what the hell I'm talking about.  Yikes, I'm in a mood!)


I am using a passage from Luke about Jesus healing a woman in the temple on the Sabbath as my text.  HA!  That'll be quite a feat (to connect them).  Actually, it's pretty easy.  If you are here Sunday you'll be amazed, and inspired!  Or possibly confused.  In the meantime, I am sickened as I do some research.  Such ugly bullshit being flung in all directions.  My favorite is Sarah Palin tweeting her disapproval of the Mosque a couple of weeks ago, and then supporting Dr. Laura's 1st Amendment rights after her use of the N-word on her radio show -- um, WHAT?  Oy.  Sometimes I just wanna smack some people. 


To watch this, you'll need to mute the lovely "Imagine" that's playing.


The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Moment of Zen - Sarah Palin on NYC Mosques
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party


*Phil Davis of Phil’s Stock World has an idea about the real agenda:




According to the 14th Amendment to the Constitution (oh that thing),  right there in section 4, is the statement that: "The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned."  So we’re stuck with those Social Security obligations (the ones people put money into their whole lives on the good faith that the US Government would take care of it for them and pay them back when they retire) unless we can figure out a way to get that 14th Amendment repealed so we can default on that obligation. 
Well thank goodness once again for our Conservative cousins because House Minority Leader, John Boehner, is already on the case and has suggested repealing the 14th amendment under the guise of blocking citizenship for children born in the US to immigrant parents….It is now becoming clear that the ENTIRE anti-immigration mania, from the day Bush first suggested a fence between Texas and Mexico, has really been about mounting a back-door attack on Social Security - the true enemy of the right since it’s founding in 1935. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank for venting. And explaining. I did not mute "Imagine." I would rather listen to John Lennon, and YOU, than Sarah Palin.

    A mosque is OK by me. Babies are good.

    Ah! Now it's Eva Cassidy!!

    RE: Social Security. I was just talking to a colleague about paying the social security & my portion of taxes, etc. for a woman who worked in my home to babysit my son & how I felt it was my responsibility and duty, etc. The babysitter said she didn't need the social security, had a pension from another source, etc. I was telling my colleague how I wanted to pay into the system anyway for all the people who had counted on it, paid into it, been reassured of it, etc. And still do.

    ReplyDelete